Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Love me some Cake Doctor!

LOL The cake doctor is in, I recently ordered some new "bakebooks" because a lady in my cake decorating class (by whom already decorates cakes flawlessly) mentioned this lady called The Cake Mix Doctor. Well my cake mix cakes needed to be brought back to life so I HAD to get her book. She teaches you how to doctor up any box cake mix to make it taste like scratch and she has a ton of neat tips-I am in love!


For my last cake decorating class I thought I would spice it up and make a snickerdoodle cake (Gregs favorite cookie, and come to find out his brother's too-perfect they are coming to visit this weekend, I won't have to eat a whole cake by myself- woo hoo can I get an amen for the booty)! So Don't fall asleep, but I'm going to show you step by step how I made my boxed cake so I can share these cool/yummy tricks for your cakes!





Photobucket



First, you start off with a box of white cake mix- The Dr. says that the box suggests adding egg whites and not the whole egg ,do not do this! She says your cake will taste and look better using the whole egg, it needs the yolk. Also, she says do add melted butter to a white cake mix instead of oil it provides flavor,color and texture (see so many tips already-love it!).



Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees (tip: pre-heat and have your oven at the right temperature for at least 10 min. before you put your cakes in the oven). Prepare your cake pans-she suggests with shortening and flour ( to get golden sides), but I had this stuff (crisco spray with flour already in it) so I thought I would give it a try.






Photobucket



Place the cake mix, 1 stick melter butter (key is to melt) into mixing bowl...or in my case into my baby! My birthday present isn't it fabulous, awh my KitchenAid Stand Mixer with 3 included attachments and 10 speeds, since I got to open it a smidge early I have been trying to use it every chance I get, which has been A LOT. (Sidenote:When I opened it Greg was like I hope it's not like a husband giving his wife a vacuum...definitly NOT, I have been dreaming about having one of these since 8th grade home ec class. I thought I was going to have to wait until my wedding registry to get the "chance" to get it, I think he did it to hold me over until that day...LOL (hopefully he doesn't read that) ;) ...any hoo back to the cake!






Photobucket



Then you add 3 whole eggs (I checked them were not going to get salmonilla)!






Photobucket



Then 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (The dr. says don't use immitation extracts, spend the extra $ to get the good stuff, your cakes will be better for it).






Photobucket



Now 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (a scoop of joy).






Photobucket



Add 1 cup of whole milk (dr. says in some cakes you need whole milk because it needs more of the fat from the milk).
Photobucket

Blend with the mixer until smooth and combined and divide batter between prepared cake pans.








Photobucket



Look at my baby at work...tear! lol




Photobucket



Bake the cakes until golden brown and spring back when lightly touched with your finger, 27 to 29 minutes. Remove the pans from the oven cool on wire rack for 10 min. and then take out of pans to cool another 30 before icing.






Photobucket



While these are cooling I made a cream cheese filling...




Photobucket



1 stick of butter, 1block of cream cheese both at room temp.




Photobucket



Add 3 3/4 cups sifted powdered sugar,1 tsp. vanilla and I added a bit of cinnamon.






Photobucket



And a Cinnamon Buttercream frosting for the outside.



Beat butter 1 stick (I doubled the batch and used 1/2 shortening, 1/2 butter to make my buttercream more stiff to hold shape better for decorating) until fluffy, 3 3/4 cups sifted powdered sugar, 3 to 4 tbs milk, 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract and 1tsp. cinnamon.



Photobucket


Cream cheese filled, snickerdoodle layered cake ready to be frosted.


Photobucket


I tinted the frosting Teal, this is after spreading-but not smoothing yet.



Photobucket


By the way, baking is MESSY business-Trust me the other half of my kitchen was equally bad if not worse. I even separated days , bake the cake one day, make the frostings another, and decorate the last .... then the best day eating it!


Ok here it is after decorating it tonight at class, still working on a lot obviously! I learned a lot of neat tricks, had some fun and met some amazing women so it was a successful venture...did I mention I start my next one Monday ;) lol It was my birthday present to myself-can I afford it NO, will it get me out of the house and keep me sane-YES!

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you are on the road to being the bake-master... I know the I LOVE YOU was for Greg, but I LOVE YOU 2...hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you too Mama! That I love you on the cake was an all encompassing I love you ;)I can't wait to see you, it can't come soon enough! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading about "The Cake Doctor" I went to Amazon and ordered 1 for my friends BD and 1 for me, sounds like a fun cookbook! Your cake is adorable, you are getting very professional at this cake decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks great and cute!, greg better love you back! i miss you!

    ReplyDelete