Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Thanks Uncle Jack!

Sunday night I was very thankful for Greg's uncle Jack. We used our new pan he gave us to make a new recipe that... he also gave us. The recipe is for a really simple homemade pasta sauce-I was debating on whether to post on it or not, but decided it was worth sharing; yummy and simple.


Oven Roasted Tomato Sauce

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

3 lbs. Roma tomatoes quartered , it says you can mix in cherry tomatoes too (we had so many tomatoes from Greg's garden and since he is the only one who eats tomatoes lol this worked perfect ).

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

12 cloves garlic, peeled

2 tbs oregano

2 tsp salt

1 tsp pepper (and you all know me and measuring, don't really do it while cooking lol so throw it all in there and give it a taste).


combine all ingredients together in a roasting pan.Cook until the tomatoes begin to caramelize, about 30 minutes. Stir tomatoes after 30 minutes. Continue to cook until much of the liquid has evaporated, about 30 minutes longer. Remove from the oven and cool slightly. Blend everything until coarsely pureed (hey just dawned on me I used our hand blender for this which we got from...uncle Jack!-Gotta love hand-me-downs).If the sauce seems too thick, thin with a bit of water or chicken broth.


Ok, honestly is it easier to buy a jar of sauce-yes! I was a sceptic myself, probably if we weren't up to our ears in tomatoes I wouldn't of tried this. It really is delicious though, simple, better for you and it makes your kitchen smell good. Thanks uncle Jack...for everything! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment