Thursday, April 21, 2011

Having fun with mini muffins

So, I have been loving my mini muffin tins (so much so that I just bought a second pan) for two reasons:




1. You can make super cute perfect pop in your mouth cuppy cakes.





I knew I wanted to make a treat for Easter to take to Monterey , but I wasn't sure what to make...too many options. Then, a couple weeks ago as I was going down the Easter isle at Target I spotted this and it made my mind up as soon as I saw it.




Now, to the untrained eye it might look like an ordinary box of cake mix and frosting, but look closer...









My all time favorite boxed cake mix ( p.s also a food memory) is the rainbow chip! Especially the frosting! And look at this spring chip ! I had to get it for the nostalgia. In high school this was THE cake mix. For softball be would have weekly dinners at each of the girls houses and this was always a staple dessert between my friends and I. For a double whammy of nostalgia when we had one of those softball dinners at my house, I made my mom make rainbow chip cupcakes in ice cream cones! She would make those for us when we were little and they were so cool-way ahead of the baking craze time ( I think they were my inspiration to become a baker lol).


and 2. They are great for portion control.











This week I made a really yummy and quick recipe from cooking light recipe. It was Smothered Green Chile Pepper Chicken and Corn-filled mini muffins.




The picture is not the best, but trust me it was really good. Two of these mini muffins is only 102 calories and 301 calories for the chicken.



Directions for chicken : (The recipe called for 2 chicken thighs per serving, but I used chicken breasts) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Arrange chicken in a baking dish. Squeeze lime juice of a lime on chicken. Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken. (Can of whole green chile's-drained) rinse and cut length-wise, but not through the other side and place 1 Chile over the chicken (I put two over each breast). Cover dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Then sprinkle 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese over chile's on chicken and bake an additional 5 min uncovered until cheese melts.


Directions for mini- muffins: I halved the recipe to only make 12 muffins (but here is the recipe for 24). Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine 1 (6.5 oz) package corn muffin mix, 1/3 cup fat free milk, 2tbs. canola oil, 2 egg whites, 1 cup frozen shoe peg white corn...I also added a squeeze of honey. Stir until combined and coat mini muffin tin with cooking spray. Bake for around 11 minutes or until golden brown.


I will definitely make this recipe again, it only takes like 10 min. to prep, really easy.



1 comment:

  1. Did you stock up on the cake mix and frosting since you never can find it?? I do love the mini muffin size they are just pop in your mouth ready, no fuss & no mess.
    love ya, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete