Sunday, January 29, 2012

Valentine's Day Inspired

If you didn't already know I am absolutely addicted to blogs! So many great DIY ideas so little time! I had noted a couple of Valentine's day projects that I wanted to try ...and because I have been trying to keep myself busy today in crazy anticipation for Greg and our new puppy to show up (it should be any moment now!) I completed 3 out of the 4 I wanted to do.

The first was a baking project...of course ;) guess what these yummy Cake Batter Truffles you don't even have to bake! Let me write their name again CAKE BATTER TRUFFLES-oh yeah as good as they sound a close runner up to red velvet.


Like my new cake plate (it's been on back order since my birthday-thanks Greg xoxo)?
Thinking a wedding cake will look rather shabby chic on it ;)





Here's how you make 'em:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup yellow cake mix
1/2 cup unsalted butter,softened
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. salt
2-4 tbs. milk
2 tbs. sprinkles

Truffle coating:
16 oz white candy melts
1/4 cup yellow cake mix
sprinkles

Beat together butter and sugar using an electric mixer until combined. Add cake mix, flour, salt, and vanilla mix thoroughly. Add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until you get a nice workable dough.Mix in sprinkles.Roll dough into one inch balls and place on a wax paper lined cookie sheet. Chill balls in fridge for at least 15 minutes to firm up.

While dough balls are chilling, melt candy melts in intervals. Once melted, stir in cake mix until mixed completely. Use a fork to dip truffles in chocolate tapping the bottom of the fork on the side of the bowl to get excess chocolate off , put on wax paper and top with sprinkles! Amazing!

So I love how people decorate for every holiday with diy crafts , I always said I was going to wait to do that until we bought a house, but then I found out teachers get 15% off at Michaels which led to an hour trip and lots of craft supplies :). A craft I wanted to make was a cupcake wrapper wreath. It was so easy and turned out super cute I want to make one for every holiday know lol.

Wrap a Styrofoam wreath with ribbon I chose a coral and light pink cupcake wrapper so I went with coral ribbon. Secure it with hot glue.

Scrunch/fold wrapper and glue to wreath...I used mini wrappers (100) because it is a smaller wreath.
Doesn't it look like a carnation?

I glued a little wooden cupcake on it and paired it with a $1 Michaels find ...

I saw these glitter mason jars and had to try, so easy and cute when all lit up! So many different occasions you could make these for!


On the blog I saw these on they used an adhesive vinyl to cut the heart out of and stick to the inside of the jar, I was going to bring home contact paper from school,but forgot it. It probably would have worked better, but I was impatient and bought a cheap pack of sticky card stock hearts that I cut to size. I probably would of cut smaller hearts (so you wouldn't see the flame less candle and on the big one the heart came up a little so it looks a little messy when I took it off).

I can't remember what they said to spray the inside with originally, but I had a clear acrylic finishing spray left from my peppermint wreath I decided to use and it worked. Spray the inside put glitter in it, put lid back on and shake. Open the lid and shake out excess glitter then peel off hearts.








Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I love love love love the maso jar candles!!! I gotta make me some!!!!

    ReplyDelete